Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who to blame - Sanitas or Hospiten?


Amanda and I are expecting our first baby in December (the 9th to be exact!). We're both very excited and everything is going well - or it was until a few days ago! Don't panic, the baby's fine! We took out private insurance with Sanitas about year and a half ago, largely because we were trying for a baby and wanted to have insurance. We've been going to Hospiten in Estepona, as we know a few friends that have had their babies there and they seem happy with it. The appointments and scans have been good, you need to hang around a bit for you slot, but that's no issue. So, back to the story... on Sunday a friend of ours called us to tell us that Hospiten were no longer taking clients from Sanitas as of November 9th. Naturally we thought this couldn't be as simple and surely they'd let those pregnant women, who had been seeing the Dr's there, continue until the birth - so gradually phasing it out. But no! That's it! So now we (well Amanda!) is giving birth in about 7 weeks and we don't know which hospital we can go to. It sems incredible that this can happen and it's difficult to know whose fault this is, whether it's Hospiten's or Sanitas', I'm sure they'll blame each other! the options seem to be to go to USP in Marbella, or use the Costa del Sol Hospital. While I'm sure both are fine, it's crazy that at 7 months pregnant we should have to change all our plans and be left in the lurch like this.

2 comments:

Jo Blogs said...

Typical of here!

I had my daughter in Costa Del Sol. I have no complaints whatsoever and that was 5 years ago. Lots have changed since I was there - I think you are allowed to use the ball and move around - when I was there I had to lay on the bed.

They were very good, you have 1 room which you share with 1 other person. If theres any probs with the baby they can sort it there rather than the baby be transfered to another hospital which can happen at some hospitals as they dont have the facilities.

My friend just gave birth there and think all was ok too!

I had private and could have gone to Malaga but much prefered Costa Del Sol.

Anonymous said...

to James, have you tried to change to DKV? I know this insurance company is taking good care of the pregnant "sanitas" ladies, and they can give birth at Hospiten